Monday, December 27, 2010

Elle Fanning for Interview

Dakota's little sis steps up.


Interview Magazine January 2011 Issue
Editorial: "Elle FANNING"
Photographer: Steven Pan
Stylist: Elin Svahn

"It's amazing that I get to meet all these people. I've learned so much from all of them. I just worked with Sofia Coppola and that was amazing. I learned so much from her. I can't even describe how much fun I had."


"I love fashion! I love clothes! I really like vintage clothes, so in my closet there's a lot of '50s stuff. I go to the stores and shop around. [...] I wore the Marc Jacobs dress, so I love Marc Jacobs. He has a vintage flair. But I've always worn a lot of vintage stuff, so it hasn't been a lot of designers. If I see something that I like, I just buy it."


"I've seen The Seven Year Itch [1955] and I loved that. I watched that all the time when I was little. I liked the dress. I was her [Marilyn Monroe] for Halloween when I was 7. I did the makeup and the mole and I did all the poses with blowing kisses and all that. But also, of course, I'd love to do something with my sister. I've never really acted with her before. I've played her at a younger age, but we've never been in the same scenes together."


It's a little eerie how her voice switches back and forth from that of a 12-year-old to that of a 25-year-old, isn't it? From "I love clothes!" to "Sofia Coppola is AMAZING and I've learned so much from her because she's so AMAZING."

Then again, who can blame her for not always sounding like a typical 12-year-old? After all, most of them don't get to do this:

Valentino Spring 2011 Collection
Model: Julia Saner (ELITE)



3.1 Phillip Lim Spring 2011 Collection
Model: Jac


Marc Jacobs Resort 2011 Collection
Model: Jamie Bochert



Chanel Resort 2011 Collection
Model: Tanga Moreau


We're struggling mightily not to sound like sticks-in-the-mud here. Girls this age are already interested in (and trying, if they're allowed to) things like heels and makeup and more grownup clothes. And it's not as if they've sexualized her. But she's so ... done up. There's a disconnect between the world-class hair and makeup and the missing teeth; the outrageously expensive clothes on a body that hasn't yet settled on what size and shape it's going to be. Like we said, they didn't tart her up and for that we're grateful. Plus, the clothes are lovely and well-styled, especially that Valentino dress, which looks gorgeous on her. And let's face it, many models start their careers just a year or two older than her, but that's usually a pretty eventful year or two in terms of physical maturity. A 14-year-old with model genes can pretty easily be made up and shot to look like a young woman. A 12-year-old can't. We'd never go so far as to say this shoot is inappropriate, but it does make us a little uneasy.


[Photo Credit: Steven Pan, interviewmagazine.com]

Post a Comment

Labels: , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment