Friday, December 17, 2010

Winona Ryder for US ELLE

Probably hates "Girl Interrupted" puns.


ELLE Magazine January 2011 Issue

Editorial: "Girl, Resurrected"
Photographer: Horst Diekgerdes
Style Director: Kate Lanphear


J. Mendel Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Anabela Belikova

We suspect magazine editors have been waiting for years to use that "Girl, Resurrected" title. Noni is having something of a career resurgence and she's pretending her shoplifiting and allegedly legendary diva stunts back in her heyday had nothing to do with the industry and public abruptly turning their backs on her.

On the Internet:
"I don't use the Internet, but apparently you can find out everything on it," she says sounding genuinely bewildered. "I have my e-mail on my BlackBerry, and that's about it. I've never read a blog, ever. I feel like it's taking away that great anticipation of seeing a movie. It used to be you'd hear, like, Al Pacino was making a movie, and you wouldn't know anything about it. And nowadays, you know it all, like how much [the actors] are being paid. I would hate to see a picture of me and the caption reads, 'Is she worth it?' "

On her disappearance from films:
"If I don't relate to the [project], even if it's something that I should do, it's hard for me to say yes," she says. "I'm the type who'd rather not work than work on something I'm not into. I've done that a couple of times, and I feel like I can totally see it in my performance."

"I mean, there's a couple of times that I did it, for the, you know, paycheck. Even when I was younger--I remember I did this movie that wasn't good, called 1969. I totally did it 'cause I could get out of school. I can see it in even great actors' performances, when they're phoning it in."


On aging as an actress:
"I did relate to Beth [in Black Swan] on a certain level," she says. "Just that thing of, you know, when I'm told I'm not the ingenue anymore. And now I'm 39. I remember when I was younger, I couldn't wait to be older, because I was always the kid on the set, I was always younger than everyone else. And now I'm older than a lot of the people I work with. I've been doing this for 25 years, which is so strange. I was watching TV, and there was this oldies-but-goodies film fest, and Lucas came on. I was like, Oh my God, I'm an oldie!"

On dating:
"I remember being at this bar called Tosca in San Francisco, and I met this guy one night. He was really cute, and we were talking, and then, like, he just said something about how he had always had a crush on me. And I was suddenly mistrustful about why he was talking to me. I wanted to be just a normal girl flirting with a normal guy. It's like you meet people, and they know this stuff about you. It's why you want to meet somebody who's in the same business, only because they understand more. But you don't necessarily want to be with another actor."

We're a little amazed she's 39. It seems like she should be both older AND younger than that, if that makes any sense. She's been around forever but at the same time, she's kind of timeless and ageless, both in the sense that she was mature at a very young age - an "old soul," to use a very worn out phrase - but also in the sense that this bitch really doesn't seem to age. Except for a little fullness in the face she didn't have in her early 20s, she looks pretty much the same as she did in her Reality Bites days.


Richard Nicoll Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Shu Pei Qin


Stella McCartney Spring 2011 Collection/ Model: Iris Strubegger (WOMEN)


Sonia Rykiel Resort 2011 Collection/Model: Angelika Kocheva


Chloe Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Emily Senko (ELITE)


Straw and lace hat, Philip Treacy.

We just don't love this editorial. Let's be blunt: We don't like the clothes featured and we're unimpressed with the styling. Add to that Noni's apparent limitations in facial expressions (heavy-lidded and wide-eyed are about all you get) and the rather flat photography and we're pretty bored with the whole thing. Not how a girl wants her career resurrected, we think.

[Image Credit: thefashionspot, style.com]


Post a Comment


Labels: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment